ROMÂNĂ | MAGYAR | ENGLISH

Manuscripts   
Our museum owns 284 parchment and paper manuscripts from the 15th – 20th centuries. The oldest manuscript is the “Tractatus virtutum” which contains scholastic studies in Latin. It was copied in 1467 in a Moldavian Catholic monastery. In the 15th century it was used by the vice – bishop from Baia (Moldvabánya). Later on it was read in the Franciscan monastery from Chilia (Kilia).

From the 16th century we have two manuscripts. One of them is a parchment codex, decorated with monochrome and polychrome initials, that contains a Franciscan antiphonary. The 17th century leather binding of the codex was made in a bookbinder workshop from Şumuleu Ciuc, and it wears the arms of the archbishop, Marcus Bandinus. This is the oldest cover board that was made and decorated at Şumuleu Ciuc.

The other manuscript is a Transylvanian – related charter and prescription from the 16th century.
Our manuscript archive contains the music works of the Franciscan János Kájoni (1629 - 1687): Sacri Concentus, Organo – Missale, Kájoni Kódex, his prayer book (Hortulus Devotionis), his calendar and the inscription of his organ.
From the 17th – 19th century we have manuscripts that offer us information about our region. These manuscripts help us to have a look inside the life of the villages of that time: Casin (Kászon), Ciuc (Csík), Gheorgheni (Gyergyó), Ineu (Csíkjenőfalva), Odorheiu Secuiesc (Udvarhely). The commandment books and minutes let us look into the social and economic life of the Szekler villages of the 17th – 19th centuries. Another important manuscript is the charter of Cârţa (Csíkkarcfalva) from 1840 that contains the right of the village to organize fairs. We also have to mention the minutes of a boot – maker guilt from Miercurea Ciuc (Csíkszereda) that contains information about the years 1854 – 1874.

The other manuscripts from the 18th – 19th centuries are very interesting from historico – cultural point of view, but they also contain relevant information from the point of view of the local history: the registers of the 18th century Franciscan order, the inventory of its library, etc.

The printing house and bookbinder workshop from Şumuleu Ciuc was founded in 1676. Its diaries (Liber Typographiae) from the 18th – 19th century contain interesting information about the printing house’s returns and expenses, with the help of which we can reconstruct the inner activity of the workshop. The Liber Typographiea contained the price of the sold or bound books, the price of the paper and leather bought for printing or binding and the time and place of the purchase.

The years of 1720 – 1784 represented the golden age of the Gymnasium from Şumuleu. This was the period of the famous mystery plays that were written by the teachers of the gymnasium in Latin or Hungarian and were played by the students. This was the beginning of the Szekler theatrical art. Our first written data about the theatrical art from Şumuleu is from 1721. Most of the performances took place on Good Friday and on Whitsun Saturday in front of the people who came to the Whitsun dedication festival. These performances raised the standards of the gymnasium. They had cultural and religious character. Most of these dramas are in the possession of the Franciscan order from Şumuleu Ciuc, our collection containing only few of them.



The Sekler Museum of Ciuc
Miercurea Ciuc, Cetatii Square no. 2
Harghita County, Romania

The Nagy Imre Art Gallery
Miercurea Ciuc, Zsögödi Nagy Imre Street no. 175.

The Kossuth Gallery
Miercurea Ciuc, Kossuth Lajos Street no. 12
Postal address:
Muzeul Secuiesc al Ciucului
530132 Miercurea Ciuc, Piaţa Cetăţii nr.2
Judeţul Harghita, Romania

Tel: (004) 0266-372024
Tel/Fax: (004) 0266-311727
Mobil: (004) 0753-073531

E-mail: info@csikimuzeum.ro
Web: www.csikimuzeum.ro
Our EU project:
Main sponsor:
Our cultural project:
Sustainer:
Developed by Designed by