ROMÂNĂ | MAGYAR | ENGLISH

Short History of the Institution   
The history of the museum as an institution dates back to the 19th century. At the 9th of January 1876 Imre Tivai Nagy brought into being the Association of the Szekler Museum of Ciuc. In 1898, in the 44th number of the local newspaper (Csíki Lapok) an anonym writer mentioned the necessity of a county – museum. He complained that until that time no one had left one finger for the foundation of a museum. But this anonym writer wasn’t the only one who realised the necessity of a local museum. In 1902 the ethnographer Antal Hermann also wrote an article in the local newspaper about the importance of a museum, but nothing happened. In 1930, on the occasion of Whitsun Pál Péter Domokos (teacher), Imre Nagy (painter) and Géza Vámszer (teacher) and several other locals organized the first exhibition of the Association of the Szekler Museum of Ciuc at Şumuleu Ciuc: there were more than 140 exhibited articles, among which one could find ecclesiastical objects, works of the fine arts and ethnographic objects. This exhibition is considered to be the first real step to the foundation of the museum: it set off the collecting of old, valuable objects for the Szekler Museum.

In 1937 the local newspaper mentioned the collection of the museum, which later on was drifting in the classrooms and garret of the local Roman Catholic Gymnasium. The museum activity stopped. In 1946 Dénes Kovács (painter and teacher) started to make an inventory of the basic collection. He re-established and registered the institution.

The Szekler Museum of Ciuc, as an institution, was born in 1950. He inherited the content of the exhibition from 1930 and the collection of the catholic gymnasium.

In the first years the biggest challenge was to find a proper residence for the institution. In 1954 the museum owned 17 rooms and 954 museum objects. In the second half of the 1950s the museum even succeeded in giving out yearbooks, while it also had to meet the requirements of the communist regime: it had to be the mouthpiece of the communist ideology. Under the directorship of Géza Nagy (1959 - 1963) the objects of the museum were all registered. In 1961 the previously nationalized library of the Franciscan order, an invaluable intellectual product, entered into the possession of the museum.

The years under the management of Pál János (1963 – 1981) represented a determining period in the life of the institution. In this period the museum moved into the Mikó – Castle, they managed to restore the building (1969 - 1972), and they also succeeded in founding the Nagy Imre Art Gallery in Jigodin. From 1981 until 1985 the director of the museum was János Szőcs, who continued the work of his predecessor succesfully.

According to the resolution of the Council of Hargita County,  the museums of Miercurea Ciuc, Gheorgheni, Cristuru Secuiesc and Odorheiu Secuiesc had to be merged into one constitutional unit. This way all of these museums were brought together under the name of Museum Complex of Hargita County, where the institutions became sections and the directors became official responsible. This centralization was another means of the communist ideology, trying to keep an even closer check on the cultural life. The central and local organs of the communist party insisted continuously on a basic historical exhibition, but the museum refused to keep up with the evolution of the Romanian nationalism until 1985.

Under the directorship of László Barabási (1985 - 1989) the expectations of the increasingly strong dictatorship were gradually fulfilled. In the last months of the dictatorship the director of the museum was Viorica Şoiom.

On the beginning of 1990 the co-operative of the museum chose as director András Szabó. Under the terms of democracy the directorship offered total freedom in the museum work. The freely chosen director helped very much in the dissolution of the Museum Complex, so the institution, the Szekler Museum of Ciuc, gained an independent juristic personality. Internal and external professional relationships have come into being, the individual scientific activity of the researchers has boomed, and there have been lots of exhibitions and yearbooks that wore the sign of the Szekler Museum of Ciuc.




The Sekler Museum of Ciuc
Miercurea Ciuc, Cetatii Square no. 2
Harghita County, Romania

The Nagy Imre Art Gallery
Miercurea Ciuc, Zsögödi Nagy Imre Street no. 175.

The Kossuth Gallery
Miercurea Ciuc, Kossuth Lajos Street no. 12
Postal address:
Muzeul Secuiesc al Ciucului
530132 Miercurea Ciuc, Piaţa Cetăţii nr.2
Judeţul Harghita, Romania

Tel: (004) 0266-372024
Tel/Fax: (004) 0266-311727
Mobil: (004) 0753-073531

E-mail: info@csikimuzeum.ro
Web: www.csikimuzeum.ro
Our EU project:
Main sponsor:
Our cultural project:
Sustainer:
Developed by Designed by